Snowshoe Hare Carrot Soup from Mt. Assiniboine Lodge
- 2 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 Cup onions (finely chopped)
- 12 carrots ( 2lbs peeled and chopped)
- 6 Cup broth (potato broth )
- 1/2 Cup concentrated frozen orange juice (or 3 fresh oranges, squeezed)
- 4 Tablespoon ginger (fresh grated)
- salt and fresh ground pepper (to taste )
- grated orange zest (to taste)
- parsley (for garnish)
- swirl of coconut milk or sour cream (for garnish)
This is a great staple soup. Simple and delicious.
This is Barb Renner’s fabulous recipe for warming up chilly skiers – or fortifying hikers after a big day touring the mountains. I loved making this up at the lodge to begin a meal- as cleanly energizing as a juice.
Perfect any season for warming up body and soul with the ginger and lots of orange nutrition (beta carotene packed). A handheld blender makes this even quicker, but a regular stand-up blender or even food processor will do the trick!
- ?Saute onions in oil until translucent.
- Add the carrots and potato broth or stock.
- Cook carrots until tender (30 mins).
- Puree the soup in a blender.
- Return puree to the pot and add additional water/stock if necessary.
- Heat through, add orange juice and simmer.
- Season with salt , pepper and orange zest.
- Garnish and serve immediately.