Beets are naturally sweet and vibrantly colourful. Sneaking them into baked goods, especially chocolate ones, is a fantastic way to not only get a gorgeous reddish hue without food colouring, but is also a great way to take advantage of that natural sweetness (hello, less sugar!!). Ground almonds are the base here, lending these brownies a fabulous cheesecake-like texture. And like cheesecake, you’ll want to keep these in the fridge to keep the texture and taste at their best! Nutritionally, a square piece of this snack packs a powerful punch. Beets are one of those plants with “brain-booster” status. Research has shown that the nutrients in anti-oxidant rich beets increase blood flow to the brain, supporting focus and concentration. Another energy-enhancing ingredient in this recipe is the ground almonds, which serve as a high protein replacement for grain flour. Proteins are made up of valuable neurotransmitter-building amino acids (think serotonin and dopamine) that help with improving mood and sustaining energy. The good fats in the nuts and the coconut oil also assist in steadying blood sugar and supporting balanced brain health.
1 cup cooked, pureed beets
125g dark chocolate
4 Tbsp coconut oil
1 cup almond flour (or other ground nut or pumpkin seed flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp cocoa powder (plus 1 Tbsp for dusting)
6 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash unpeeled beets, then boil or steam them whole for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Leave to cool while prepping other ingredients. Once cool enough to handle, remove the skins and puree in a food processor.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil together in a small pot on low heat or in a double boiler.
- Mix dry ingredients and set aside.
- Mix wet ingredients in a mixer or by hand; add chocolate/coconut oil combination and blend well.
- Add dry to wet ingredients and blend to combine evenly.
- Pour into a greased 9 inch (22 cm) square cake tin (for squares) or spring form tin (for cake wedges). Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing. Keep refrigerated until ready to enjoy.