Now here’s a honeyed melt-in-your-mouth fudge you can feel good about! These are pretty coloured squares, tinged with orange from the juice and flecks of rind, or with the added turmeric for a more uniform yellow-orange: perfect for Halloween fun. A nice variation from chocolate flavoured fudge, this is for lovers of vanilla and coconut. Coconut flakes are high in fiber and naturally sweet, therefore requiring less additional sweetener. Much like peanuts, once ground in the blender coconut flakes can be transformed into a creamier textured consistency, like coconut “butter”.
2 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp + 2 tsp orange juice
2 tsp orange zest
Optional: dash of turmeric powder
1. Blend the coconut in a high powered blender or a coffee grinder in small batches.
2. Continue blending until the akes have spun to the sides of the blender.
3. Turn off the blender and shake the akes down to the bottom.
4. Blend again and repeat a few more times until the coconut becomes almost like a nut butter (moving from powder consistency to almost sticking together).
5. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
6. Add the honey, vanilla, juice, zest and optional turmeric (add more as needed to make desired shade of orange).
7. Blend with spoon until smooth and uniform.
8. Line a pan with parchment paper and spoon mixture onto the pan, using an additional piece of parchment to press down and smooth out top.
9. Chill the fudge before cutting.
Shaping recommendation: either into small one inch squares or cookie cutters for any shape you like.
Note: take any leftover dough and shape into a slab and re-chill before shaping again (it melts easily from the heat of your fingers). Store longer term in an airtight container in the fridge.
Makes 20 one inch pieces.