A refreshing and satisfying summer salad. This is a great way to make ?a high protein, ?high fiber meal out of a traditional cracked wheat (bulgar) version of this Middle Eastern dish.
- 1 Cup quinoa
- 2 Cup water
- 1/3 Cup olive oil
- 1/2 Cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon (Metric) cilantro and mint (each chopped)
- 1 Cup parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 Cup green onions (chopped)
- 2 ripe tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 cucumber (diced)
- 1 Can chick peas (optional)
- Rinse quinoa by placing in a pot (about 2 QT) , ?and fill with water, then pouring through a fine mesh colander drain off water and rinse.
- Add 2 cups of water to this pot of quinoa, add a little salt, ?cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, finely chop the tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, and scallions. Add lemon juice, olive oil and fresh herbs and chickpeas to the vegetable mix.
- Stir in cooked quinoa and add sea salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- For best flavours, it is best to let tabouli sit in the refrigerator for a day to blend and marinate, but not necessary.
- Tabouli is traditionally served at room temperature so remove from fridge 30 to 60 minutes before serving
Look?here?for ?more about the nutritional benefits and uses for ?QUINOA