This wildly purple spread is naturally sweet yet savoury and fabulous on crackers or pita. Or, add it to your kiddo’s lunch as a spread in sandwiches or wraps!
- 1 cup of chopped cooked beets
- 2 tbsp almond butter or tahini
- 1/3 – 1/2 healthy oil (avocado, coconut, or olive oil)
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic (Variation: replace garlic with 1/2-inch ginger
- Sea salt to taste
- Peel and chop roasted beets
- In food processor, puree garlic (or ginger if using)
- Add beets (best if warm), and nut or seed butter
- Drizzle in oil and lime juice with motor running (in top tube of processor) until pureed
- Season with sea salt and more lime juice to taste
From the Fall issue of Ecoparent Magazine (www.ecoparent.ca)available in hard copy at Chapters/Indigo, Nature’s Fare Markets, Whole Foods, and other independent newsstands and baby stores. Dr. Heidi is a regular food and health contributor to Ecoparent.