This is a great twist for a savoury appetizer perfect for barbeque season
- 2 whole romaine hearts (cut in half (keeping ends on!) and washed)
- 4 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Cup caesar salad dressing
Try the Citrusy salad dressing– it’s vegan (no eggs, mayonnaise , dairy) which means the lemon and capers really stand out to make it zesty– always a big hit– people never wonder where the anchovies are.
If you do dairy, you can still add some good quality shaved parmesan to make it even more delicious and crowd-pleasing.
- Preheat barbeque to medium high heat 350-375?F (180-190?C).
- Oil grill to prevent sticking.
- Cut the romaine heart in half lengthwise (keeping end on so the leaves stay intact!).
- Wash it and dry (in tea towels)
- Lightly drizzle romaine halves with olive oil
- Place the romaine (cut side down directly) on the grill.
- Cook for 1 minute or until nice char marks show up.
- Turn over romaine and be attentive.
- You want the inside of the lettuce to be cool but the outside charred and smokey.
- Remove romaine from the grill.
- Drizzle with Citrusy Caesar Salad Dressing and Shaved Parmesan and Croutons, and season with salt and pepper.