Start with organic seeds, grains or legumes.
I really like adzuki, mung, lentil, (the easiest beans to sprout) and amaranth (protein packed) and fenugreek (great for blood sugar balance)
- A clean glass jar with fine mesh (cheesecloth) and a rubber band. You can also buy “sprouting bags” at healthfood stores–makes for easy drainage.
- Rinse the seed/legume/grain and soak it
- 2 TBSP seeds or 1/2 c legume or grain in the jar with 3x the water.
- Different ingredients need different soaking times:
- Fenugreek, mustard, alfalfa, radish, quinoa, amaranth : 5-8 hrs
- Adzuki, mung, lentils, broccoli seeds need 8-12 hrs
- Chickpeas and some harder coated seeds need 20 hrs
- Rinse and drain the seeds 2 x/day, morn and evening.
- The draining is achieved by keeping the jars tilted downwards at a 45 degree angle so water can drain out and air can circulate.
- Keep them somewhere warm and dark-ish (they need this protection from light and cold so they can germinate)
- After 3-4 days (of doing step #4) when the sprouts have come up, put them in the sunshine to green up to get more of a sprout, or eat them right away in salads, juices, sprinkled in sandwiches, wraps, beautifully garnishing and powering up any dish.