There are a few general rules to note when substituting a liquid for a solid or dry ingredient, you must
- Reduce other liquids in the recipe.
- Add some baking soda (the natural sweeteners are acidic, so they must be balanced).
- Bake slightly longer at a lower temperature (by 25 *F)
How to replace 1 cup of white sugar?
Use the following quantities, and adjust liquids as below:
- 1/2 cup raw honey (not processed) : reduce liquids by 3 TBSP add 1/4 tsp soda
- 2/3 cup maple syrup : reduce liquids by 4 TBSP add 1/4 tsp soda
- 1 1/3 c molasses: reduce the liquid by 5 TBSP, add ? tsp. soda
- 1/4 c fruit juice concentrate: reduce the liquid in the recipe by 3 TBSP.
- 1 1/4 c brown rice syrup: reduce liquids by 4 TBSP.
- 1 c coconut palm sugar : (straight substitution)
- 2/3 -1 c date sugar (depending on how sweet you like it) and increase flour by 2 TBSP if using 2/3 c)