- 1 Cup quinoa (mixed: yellow, black, red)
- 1 3/4 Cup vegetable broth (if homemade, add 1/4 tsp salt)
- 1/2 red onion (minced)
- 1 carrot (shredded)
- 1 celery stick (diced)
- 1/4 Teaspoon coriander seeds (ground)
- 1/4 Teaspoon cumin seeds (ground)
- 2 Tablespoon sundried tomatoes (sliced either dry ones or soaked in oil, drained )
- 2 Tablespoon parsley (chopped)
This is my favourite grain sidedish for nights when I get home tired and hungry and want a SUPER simple but tasty pilaf to accompany tempeh or fish or a legume like chickpeas or bright green fresh FAVA BEANS (in the photo) that came in my CSA food box last wk. Edemame would make a nice accompaniment too!
Learn more about quinoa’s nutritional benefits here
- Rinse quinoa under a fine sieved colander.
- Add broth and bring to a boil while sauteing veggies.
- In a bit of coconut oil, add onions, and carrots, then spices and then celery until onions are somewhat browned.
- Add to pot of quinoa alongside sundried tomatoes **opt. add salt here.
- Let simmer with lid on for about 15 mins.
- Add parsley and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- **add salt if not using commercial broth-(these are usually quite salty already)