This simple egg, vegetable and grain breakfast is a warm and savoury alternative to traditional eggs and toast.
What is fabulous about quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah) is that it cooks like a grain but is actually a new world seed! Seeds are?much more power-packed than regular old carbohydrate laden grains like wheat. The eggs are a great source of protein, the avocado a good fat, and both of these are excellent brain food to help you start the day mindfully energetic!
- 2 tsp oil or butter
- 1 cup cooked quinoa* ( see below for cooking instructions)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 handfuls of greens (washed/dried spinach leaves, chopped kale or chard)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced into wedges or cubed
- Salsa, to taste
- Optional: Cilantro, salt and ground pepper, to taste
- In a frying pan over medium to medium-low heat, heat 1 tsp oil or butter and add greens to stir-fry for a minute or 2 until wilted. Push to the side.
- Add a bit more fat to the pan and fry the eggs, stirring until just about cooked.
- Add cooked quinoa and combine.
- Add a tablespoon of salsa (I like green the best)
- Divide into bowls and garnish with avocado
- Add cilantro, salt and pepper to taste.
From the Spring issue of Ecoparent Magazine (www.ecoparent.ca) available in hard copy at Chapters/Indigo, Nature’s Fare Markets, Whole Foods, and other independent newsstands and baby stores. Dr. Heidi is a regular food and health contributor to Ecoparent.