Strawberry Protein Smoothie
This is my favorite high protein smoothie, made without protein powder. Soaked raw nuts and seeds are one of the most digestible vegan protein sources. Why Soak? It neutralizes the phytic acid which can inhibit mineral absorption and also improves their digestibility.
- 1/4 cup raw cashews* (can be soaked) or 3 Tablespoons hemphearts**
- 1-2 medjool dates or ? a frozen banana
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Drain nuts and rinse in a colander.
- Place the nuts or seeds into a high-powered blender***
- Add water and blend until very smooth, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Then add the berries, vanilla, and dates or banana, and chia and blend again until smooth.
Yield: about 1.5 cups
*Raw nuts: can be soaked overnight (8-10 hours)
**Note: hemp hearts do not have phytic acid, so they do not need to be soaked ahead.
Tips for soaking nuts:
- Give them about 8 to 10 hours of soaking time (overnight is good).
- Cover them with 1 inch of water. Store in the fridge.
- In the morning, drain off the soaking water and rinse well in a colander.
- Now these are ready for being whipped into creamy smoothies, nut milks, sauces and desserts and spreads!
***If you are making nut or hemp milk, you would normally strain the pulp through cheesecloth, but for this smoothie, I like to leave all of the good fiber in the blender and add the rest of the ingredients and blend again.